[Python-3000] PEP 3131 accepted

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu May 17 18:48:27 CEST 2007

I have accepted PEP 3131. Note that it now contains the following policy:

"""
As an addition to the Python Coding style, the following policy is
prescribed: All identifiers in the Python standard library MUST use
ASCII-only identifiers, and SHOULD use English words wherever feasible
(in many cases, abbreviations and technical terms are used which
aren't English). In addition, string literals and comments must also
be in ASCII. The only exceptions are (a) test cases testing the
non-ASCII features, and (b) names of authors. Authors whose names are
not based on the latin alphabet MUST provide a latin transliteration
of their names.
"""

I recommend that open source projects with a global audience adopt a
similar policy. I'll also add it to PEP 8.

I expect that small details of the PEP will still change as discussion
about these takes place and as implementation is undertaken. This does
not affect my acceptance of the PEP.