[Python-3000] Radical idea: remove built-in open (require import io)

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri May 18 02:42:54 CEST 2007

On 5/17/07, Chris Monson <shiblon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would other IO builtins also move, like (formerly raw_) input and
> print?  What about the file type?

The file type is already gone in py3k.

> it seems to me that if the rationale is to make use of IO
> identifiable, then all IO functions would have to move into the io
> module.  What am I missing?

I guess a refinement of the point is that you need the io module to
create new I/O streams, while input() and print() act on existing
streams. Code that makes read() and write() calls doesn't need to
import the io module either, so we're not really making all I/O
identifiable, just the open() calls.

--Guido