[Python-3000] Wither PEP 335 (Overloadable Boolean Operators)?

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sat May 19 13:24:55 CEST 2007

On 19/05/2007 3.21, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>>> While reviewing PEPs, I stumbled over PEP 335 ( Overloadable Boolean
>>> Operators) by Greg Ewing.
>>>
>>> It is time to reject it due to lack of interest, or revive it!
>> Didn't you post something about this a short time ago,
>> suggesting you were in favour of it?
>
> I think I did, but I hope I'm not the only one in favor.

I'm -0 on the idea, they're very rarely overloaded in C++ as well, since there
are only few really valid use cases.

In fact, the only example I saw till now where those of constructing
meta-languages using Python's syntax, which is something that Python has never
really encouraged (see the metaprogramming syntax which is now officially vetoed).

But I'm not -1 because I assume that (just like unicode identifiers) they will
not be abused by the community, and they probably do help some very rare and
uncommon use cases where they are really required.
--
Giovanni Bajo