[Python-3000] PEP 3131 - the details

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Mon May 21 18:30:35 CEST 2007

On 5/21/07, tomer filiba <tomerfiliba at gmail.com> wrote:

> i thought of simply treating Cf chars as whitespace -- i.e., they
> are allowed BETWEEN identifiers, but not INSIDE of them.

I think the suggestion from other languages was to strip them out
during canonicalization.   This allows abc and cba to refer to the
same identifier, if someone is being sneaky.  Whether that is a
problem or not, ... I think so, but it is a judgment call.

> but then again, what if i wanted identifiers in more than one language
> or direction? that may seem pointless, but i can give concrete
> examples of usage -- the cardinal numbers (aleph one and friends):
> א1

In my English math classes, this was simply written with the aleph
before the one; since the aleph was only a single character, it didn't
really matter which order we would have used for additional
characters.

I think this could be generalized so that RTL is assumed to switch
when switching back out of an RTL script, even if the next character
is "inherited" (like parens) or "common" (like numbers).

א
 123

-jJ