[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Thu May 24 03:56:56 CEST 2007

--- Ka-Ping Yee <python at zesty.ca> wrote:
> In summary, my preference ordering of the
> possibilities would be:
>
> [...]
>
>     2.  "python" allows only ASCII identifiers.
> "python -U" allows
>         Unicode identifiers that are in NFC and use
> a conservative,
>         *fixed* subset of the available characters.
> Support for
>         "-U" is a compile-time option, preferably
> not compiled into
>         official binary releases of Python.
>
>     3.  "python" and "python -U" are as above.
> "python -UU" allows
>         all Unicode identifier characters (which may
> grow over time
>         as the Unicode standard changes).  Support
> for "-UU" is a
>         compile-time option, never on in official
> binary releases of
>         Python, and discouraged with "here be
> dragons" warnings, etc.

I'm in favor of that, with the idea that by 3.1 or
3.later (depending on feeback from international
community), Python would eventually deprecate those
options, and it would eventually be the burden of
non-Unicoders (which includes me) to specify
--asciionly if they were worried about running
non-ASCII Python.

I disagree with option 1 (not quoted), but not
passionately.

____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.