[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Jim Jewett jimjjewett at gmail.com
Fri May 25 03:37:47 CEST 2007

On 5/24/07, Guillaume Proux <gproux+py3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is my understanding that the only remaining objection for unicode
> in identifier is for claimed security issues.

It isn't strictly security; when I've been burned by cut-and-paste
that turned out to be an unexpected character, it didn't cause damage,
but it did take me a long time to debug.

> Regarding the  the notion you should be able to give a single
> accepted charset, the problem arises that restricting charsets on a
> global scope (from a global command line flag or a site.py file) will
> prevent me for example to freely mix English, French, Greek and
> Japanese in the same large project

For most people, the appearance of a Greek or Japanese (let alone
both) character would be more likely to indicate a typo.  If you know
that your project is using both languages, then just allow both; the
point is that you have made an explicit decision to do so.

-jJ