[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 04:46:42 CEST 2007

--- Ka-Ping Yee <python at zesty.ca> wrote:

> Steve Howell wrote:
> > I think now that PEP 3131 has been accepted, you
> can coarsely frame
> > the remaining conflict as between ascii lovers and
> non-ascii lovers
>
> To pit this as "ascii lovers vs. non-ascii lovers"
> is a pretty large
> oversimplification.  You could name them "people who
> want to be able
> to know what the code says" and "people who don't
> mind not being able
> to know what the code says".  Or you could name them
> "people who want
> Python's lexical syntax to be something they fully
> understand" and
> "people who don't mind the extra complexity".  Or
> "people who don't
> want Python's lexical syntax to be tied to a
> changing external
> standard" and "people who don't mind the extra
> variability."

Agreed.

> However you characterize them, keep in mind that
> those in the former
> group are asking for default behaviour that 100% of
> Python users
> already use and understand.  There's no cost to
> keeping identifiers
> ASCII-only because that's what Python already does.

Agreed.

> I think that's a pretty strong reason for making the
> new, more complex
> behaviour optional.

Agreed also.  Just to be clear, I am 100% in the camp
of people who want non-ascii behavior to be an
explicit choice, at least for 3.0.  EIBTI.

But I also think we want to be as creative as possible
for enabling and encouraging non-ascii functionality.
I think that's where this thread should start
focusing.

I also share Guillaume's optimistic viewpoint about a
Python world with no cultural boundaries, etc. (sorry
if that's a bad paraphrase).