[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri May 25 09:36:47 CEST 2007

>> People should not have to read long system configuration pages
>> just to run the program that they intuitively wrote correctly
>> right from the start.
>
> You mean that 5% of users who run into code written using non-ascii
> identifiers will find this sufficiently burdensome to force the 95% of
> ascii users to use additional verification and checking tools to make
> sure that they are not confronted with non-ascii identifiers?  I don't
> find that a reasonable tradeoff for the majority of (non-unicode) users.

I think I lost track of what problem you are trying to solve: is it
the security issue, or is the the problem Ping stated ("you cannot
know the full lexical rules by heart anymore").

If it is the latter, I don't understand why the 95% ascii users need
to run additional verification and checking tools. If they don't
know the full language, they won't use it - why should they run
any checking tools?

If it is the security issue, I don't see why a warning wouldn't
address the concerns of these users just as well.

Regards,
Martin