[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 15:17:18 CEST 2007

--- Guillaume Proux <gproux+py3000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you look at the typical use case for programs
> written in python
> (usually also in rough order of experience)
> A) directly in interpreter (i love that)
> B) small-ish one-off scripts
> C) middle size scripts
> D) multi-module programs made by a single person
> E) large-ish programs made by a group of people

I have a funny dilemma as an ASCII user.  When I write
small-ish one-off scripts (category B), I often start
typing rapid fire, and there's a feature in vim that
if I hit just the wrong combination of keys, I get an
accented e, even though I intend to write unaccented
English.  This happens to me about once a month, and I
forget exactly what Python does when I try to run the
program where one identifier has the accented e, and a
later identifier doesn't.

I'm not drawing any specific conclusion from this
anecdote about what to do in Py3k; I'm just pointing
out that ascii users can get flustered by non-ascii
characters, and sometimes it's purely accidental that
we introduce them to our code.

____________________________________________________________________________________Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.