[Python-3000] PEP 3131 accepted

Michael Urman murman at gmail.com
Sat May 26 17:21:04 CEST 2007

On 5/26/07, Ka-Ping Yee <python at zesty.ca> wrote:
> But the enabling of UTF-8 by a BOM at the
> beginning of the file is an invisible override.  This invisible
> override is the source of the danger.  If we want to be able to
> read the coding declaration with any confidence, we should get rid
> of the invisible override.

Do we need to reconsider PEP 3120 "Using UTF-8 as the default source
encoding"? I don't see much difference between not knowing on visual
inspection whether:
    allowed is allowed
or
    "allowed" == "allowed"

I hope that's not your stance, because I still don't expect either to
cause problems in the real world. Of course since it's currently not
possible, it's hard to go trolling for existing use cases of confusing
identifiers in python code.

--
Michael Urman