[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Sun May 27 00:53:59 CEST 2007

--- Baptiste Carvello <baptiste13 at altern.org> wrote:
> However, this does not
> matter for teaching and for in-house code, which are
> the most compelling use
> cases of the new feature.

For the teaching use case, I'm wondering if the
English keywords would already present too high a
barrier for students who don't have first-semester
familiarity with English.

In this example below, altered from Chapter 4 of the
tutorial, I have tried to make the keywords appear
foreign to an English user, so that an
English-speaking person could imagine the opposite
scenario.

fed ask_ok(prompt, retries=4, complaint='Yes or no,
please!'):
    elihw Eurt:
        ok = tupni_war(prompt)
        fi ok ni ('y', 'ye', 'yes'): nruter Eurt
        fi ok ni ('n', 'no', 'nop', 'nope'): nruter
Eslaf
        retries = retries - 1
        fi retries < 0: esiar ROrreoi, 'refusenik
user'
        tnirp complaint

To truly enable Python in a non-English teaching
environment, I think you'd actually want to go a step
further and just internationalize the whole program.

____________________________________________________________________________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC