[Python-3000] Support for PEP 3131

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun May 27 05:28:59 CEST 2007

Mike Klaas wrote:
> On 25-May-07, at 6:03 AM, Steve Howell wrote:
>
>> We're just disagreeing about whether the Dutch tax law
>> programmer has to uglify his environment with an alias
>> of Python to "python3.0 -liberal_unicode," or whether
>> the American programmer in an enterprisy environment
>> has to uglify his environment with an alias of Python
>> to "python3.0 -parochial" to mollify his security
>> auditors.
>
> Surely if such mollification were necessary, -parochial would be
> routinely used for (most much enterprise-y) java?  I have never seen
> any such thing done, though my experience is perhaps not universal.

Java (and C#) are statically typed - a simple assignment statement can't
introduce a new variable, so the issue of deceptive assignment provides
far less opportunity for mischief.

A Java or C# equivalent of KPY's deceptive code would either fail to
compile with an unrecognised identifier error when it encountered the
undeclared 'allow-with-Cyrillic-a' identifier (or else it have an extra
apparently redundant identifier declaration).

Cheers,
Nick.