[Python-3000] Lines breaking

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue May 29 11:47:04 CEST 2007

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> Hmm... would it?  Or should two split points with nothing between
> them produce empty strings, i.e. you would have to do
>     x.split(('\r\n', '\r', '\n'))
> to get the behaviour of x.splitlines()?

Right, Georg's example would be unintuitive given the current behavior
of str.split which will happily provide zero-width matches when it hits
separators in sequence.

Perl bypasses the issue by having split
(http://perldoc.perl.org/functions/split.html) take a regex; I've only
rarely used this for complex matches, though. I tried a Google code
search for

    lang:perl split\(?\s?\/\[        (simple multiple separators)
    lang:python \.splitlines\s?\(
    lang:python \.split\s?\(

but the number of results seems to oscillate between 300 and 100000, so
that didn't help much.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D