[Python-3000] Lines breaking

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed May 30 05:19:29 CEST 2007

Greg Ewing writes:

 > That doesn't bother me so much because \r as a line boundary is a
 > well-established convention on some platforms. But I've *never*
 > heard of FF or VT being used as line delimiters.

The Unicode newline recommendation is all about making the use of
characters match their physical presentation.  If on a printer, you
force a new page with FF, you will see a physical line break at the
end of the page containing the FF.  Similarly with VT.  (It seems that
word processors which interpret LF as a paragraph separator often use
VT as a hard newline.)  The input functions should obey Unicode's
recommendations, IMHO.

OTOH, AIUI Unicode conformance does not require the Python language
(grammar) to allow line breaking characters other than those currently
recognized.  And the grammar may restrict their use (eg, FF only at
the end of an empty line).