[Python-3000] plat-mac seriously broken?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Nov 1 15:19:40 CET 2007

On 1 Nov, 2007, at 15:06, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> On 11/1/07, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
>> For what it is worth: I agree that most of the mac libraries, such as
>> the entire Carbon package, shouldn't be part of the standard library.
>>
>> The reason for that is simple: the release-cycle of the MacOS
>> bindings
>> are currently bound to the release cycle of major releases of Python
>> (e.g. one cannot do functional changes to the Carbon in the 2.5.x
>> branch), but should IMO be synchronized with platform releases.
>
> Very good point.
>
>> However, I also think the mac libraries shouldn't be removed from the
>> standard library without someone stepping in to transform them into
>> (a) standalone package(s). Alternatively the functionality should be
>> available in other packages (such as PyObjC).
>
> Are you volunteering?

I'm volunteering to keep improving PyObjC, but I won't promise that
PyObjC will be complete enough to replace the Carbon tree by the time
Python 3.0 goes into beta. Heck, just commiting the version of PyObjC
that is in Leopard into a public repository took me three weeks :-(

Does anyone have suggestions on how to mobilize people for this
without scaring them away when explaining what needs to be done?
People, including myself to be honest, seem to find other things to do
when the realize that fixing the Carbon wrappers involves  working
with and hacking on bgen :-(

Ronald