[Python-3000] plat-mac seriously broken?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Nov 1 18:24:37 CET 2007

On 11/1/07, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:
> > On the bright side: Carbon is basicly dead: there will be no new
> > development on Carbon and it also not supported in 64-bit mode (at
> > least the GUI bits).
>
> Unfortunately, the "gotcha" is that some existing functionality is not
> available via Objective-C (yet?); I looked at this when writing an
> MDQuery interface for Python, and found that I needed to use the
> Carbon bindings instead of the ObjC ones.  For the GUI bits, Ronald
> is right, but there's lots of stuff in plat-mac that isn't about the
> GUI (all of it!?).

Can we identify what the modules are then that cannot be reproduced in
Objective-C yet (and thus through PyObjC)?  Considering Apple has said
Carbon's hey-day is over and people need to move over to Cocoa, maybe
Py3K just take the leap and say if you need Carbon, you stick with
2.x, otherwise Py3K is requiring you modernize your Mac code and move
to Cocoa and PyObjC.

-Brett