[Python-3000] need help fixing broken tests in py3k-pep3137 branch

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Nov 3 23:48:54 CET 2007

On 11/3/07, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > We could use a better term than
> > buffer-API-supporting object though!
>
> Especially if you're also going to be using the term
> 'buffer' for a particular Python type. That seems like
> a recipe for confusion to me.

I'd love a better term. It seems we could use several new names:

1. a new name for what PEP 3137 calls buffer
2. a new name for the union of bytes and buffer (*)
3. a new name for all types  supporting the "buffer API"

(*) We really do need to distinguish between #2 and #3, since buffer
and bytes have many methods in common that the other members of
category #3 don't have.