[Python-3000] need help fixing broken tests in py3k-pep3137 branch

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Nov 6 02:35:57 CET 2007

On 11/5/07, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > In the py3k-pep3137 branch I've been working on the implementation of PEP 3137.
> > The work is largely done, but I'm stuck with about 20 failing tests,
> > and very little time this weekend to work on these. Here's the list:
>
> Here is an updated list. 4 unit tests are failing on Linux and 7
> (sometimes 8) are failing on Windows:
>
> test_mailbox
> test_old_mailbox

These are the last two failing tests on Linux.

> test_pickle
> test_sqlite

I fixed these today.

> Windows only:
> test_csv
> test_import (fix available at http://bugs.python.org/issue1293)
> test_inspect (only on some occasions, http://bugs.python.org/issue1384)

I'll leave these to Christian.

> test_netrc

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc figured out the cause, it's issue 1395. Patch
would be appreciated.

> One test is leaking reference:
> test_struct (http://bugs.python.org/issue1389)

I spent the better part of today tracking this down; embarrassingly,
it wasn't a real leak, it was slowly filling the cache for (byte)
strings of length 1 based on random input. Maybe regrtest.py should
warm up that cache when -R is used. I found that lots of places can
return a 1-char string that isn't cached, by the way.

> Other open issues:
> * pdb has problems with the "with" statement
> http://bugs.python.org/issue1265

Help!!

> * On Windows Python doesn't start if the path to Python contains non
> ASCII chars. Python can't load modules from paths with non ASCII chars,
> too. http://bugs.python.org/issue1342

Low priority IMO.

> * I like to change str(buffer()) and str(bytes()) to return the
> bytes/buffer decoded with "ascii" instead of returning the
> representation of the bytes/buffer. http://bugs.python.org/issue1392

I rejected that, but am accepting the idea of a command line flag that
causes these calls to issue a warning or error (and ditto for
comparing between str() and bytes()/buffer()).