[Python-3000] Python 3.0a2 release

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Nov 19 23:15:32 CET 2007

On Nov 19, 2007 12:47 PM, Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> wrote:
> Do you have a schedule for the release of the next alpha? If I recall
> correctly the alpha 2 is planed for end of November.

Indeed. I think we can still make that goal; there isn't anything big
that I really want in the release. The only think that I'd like to add
is renaming buffer -> bytearray, and perhaps add ABCs for (bytes,
bytearray) and <bytes, memoryview etc.>. Then there's smaller stuff,
like removing more places that accept both PyString and PyUnicode and
forcing them to either require PyUnicode or anything that supports the
buffer API. (E.g. I noticed socket.send() still accepts strings.)

I doubt that I'll be able to get to much of that this week, as it's a
3-day week in the US, and I'm fairly busy with my day job. But next
week I expect to be able to focus on the release.

Is there anything that you (or anyone else!) would really like to see
added to or fixed in 3.0a2? Now's the time!