[Python-3000] Removing windows 95 specific code

Amaury Forgeot d'Arc amauryfa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 01:41:03 CET 2007

"Martin v. Löwis" wrote:
> > Python 3.0 has already dropped support for Windows 9x in several
> > places, and is now expected to only work with the NT family.
> >
> > I propose to remove the remaining code specific to windows 9x/ME.
> >
> > This includes:
> > - Py_WIN_WIDE_FILENAMES is always defined
> > - when given a unicode string, try to always use the wide version of
> > the win32 api.
> > - w9xpopen will disappear
> >
> > Are there objections?
>
> Not in principle. However:
> a) changes that apply to 2.6 as well should be done there *first*, and
>    then merged to 3.x (although there are few of them), and

Ah, I've just read PEP11 - and windows9x is indeed officially not
supported since 2.6.
However, python 2 must still compile without Py_USING_UNICODE. So I
don't think we can get rid of the ANSI functions from the win32 api.

> b) there is debate whether w9xpopen can disappear on NT (Tim Peters once
>    hinted that it should stay if COMSPEC is not cmd.exe).

command.com does exists on my windows XP box, but is it really used?
Anyway I will do some tests.

cheers,

--
Amaury Forgeot d'Arc