[Python-3000] Python 3.0a2 release

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 20 22:11:52 CET 2007

> I would strongly advise against going back to the days where a paid MS
> compiler was the only way to build extensions for Windows.

Certainly. If Microsoft follows its recent tradition, they will continue
to publish an "express" version of VS 2008 (and then take the "express"
version of VS 2005 offline); these versions have become more functional
in that last years, so you may not need an SDK installation anymore
(and Christian's reports seem to indicate that you can indeed build
with his project files with just the Express version, and no SDK installed).

> I will help in addressing this issue, but I am limited in my ability
> to do so, as I cannot build Python itself (that *does* need full VS
> 2005/2008, as I understand it)

Not with the PCbuild9 directory (and probably not with the PCbuild8
directory, either).

Regards,
Martin