[Python-3000] Python 3.0a2 release

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Nov 20 22:37:49 CET 2007

> I'm not sure but I strongly believe that the express edition is able to
> build 32bit builds of Python. As far as I know the express edition can't
> build PGO and 64bit builds. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I haven't actually tried, but it may be that you can build 64-bit
binaries if you also install the platform SDK - it comes with an amd64
compiler (at least the Vista SDK does). Whether that enables the express
edition to invoke that compiler, I don't know.

>> PS To be honest, I'd like to see Python itself buildable with the free
>> MS tools, but I don't have time to work on that and so that's more of
>> a dream than a reasonable request to make :-)
>
> Isn't the express edition the successor of the free MS compiler suite?

Correct - or, perhaps, one successor. They also ship free compilers with
the platform SDK (but still not so for x86, IIUC).

Regards,
Martin