[Python-3000] pyvm module - low level interface to Python's VM

Dirkjan Ochtman dirkjan at ochtman.nl
Fri Nov 30 10:58:07 CET 2007

Terry Reedy wrote:
> |Maybe sys._current_frames, sys._getframe and
>
> Hmm.  The idea of execution frames strikes me as somewhat independent of
> vm.  In practice, they are associated with exceptions and tracebacks.  If
> these were also split off from sys in another separate module, I would look
> there for the frame functions.

I was talking to the guys in #pypy (and I think some people from twisted
were agreeing), who said that the whole _frame thing is not really an
implementation detail, but a rather important interface. As such, I was
thinking that maybe their underscore prefix should go...

I don't know how hard it would be for Jython, IronPython et al. to
support this kind of interface, but seeing as how something like
zope.interface relies on it (and therefore all of Twisted, too, I
think), it's kind of mandatory anyway.

Cheers,

Dirkjan