[Python-3000] str.format() -- poss. code or doc bug?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Nov 30 18:37:12 CET 2007

On Nov 30, 2007 8:08 AM, Mark Summerfield <mark at qtrac.eu> wrote:
> Your reply seems to imply that Python 3 will have 3 different and
> overlapping ways of formatting strings: %, str.format(), and
> string.Template. If that is the case, it seems like overkill to me:-)

IMO string.Template is a dead experiment.

My original plan was to get rid of % in favor of str.format(). This
seems to have run into objections from folks who don't want to have to
change their code. They have a point: when the string is not a
literal, it's not possible for 2to3 to automatically convert x%y to a
.format() call. So perhaps we should deprecate % formatting and get
rid of it at some later time.