[Python-3000] Simplifying pickle for Py3k

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Fri Oct 5 06:59:30 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 02:49:16AM -0400, Alexandre Vassalotti wrote:
> Could you elaborate on what you are trying to do?

I'm trying to efficiently pickle a 'unicode' subclass.  I'm
disappointed that it's not possible to be as efficient as the
built-in unicode class, even when using an extension code.

> The documentation for the pickle module is completely outdated and
> confusing. In fact, some sections are outright wrong about how the
> current module works. If I get some free time (which is unlikely,
> right now), I will update the documentation.

Yes, I've changed my mind and agree.  PEP 307 provides a lot of
details that library docs do not but it's not written as a reference
doc.  Improved library docs would help a lot.

> >     * Leave the old code in but generate warnings when old pickle
> >       mechanisms are used.  Eventually the old stuff could be
> >       removed from the code.
>
> Could point out specific examples of the "old code" that you are referring to?

I don't have time right now to point at specific code.  How about
the code that implements all the different versions of __reduce__
and code for __getinitargs__, __getstate__, __setstate__?

In any case, it looks like there will be volunteers to maintain the
backwards compatability of the pickle module.  That's great.

  Neil