[Python-3000] PEP 3137 plan of attack

Neal Norwitz nnorwitz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 22:13:29 CEST 2007

> On 10/7/07, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> > - remove locale support from PyString
> > - remove compatibility with PyUnicode from PyString
> > - remove compatibility with PyString from PyUnicode
>
> I'll tackle these myself by Friday, unless someone else beats me to it.

I experimented a bit with removing some of the delegation to PyUnicode
in stringobject.c.  I ran into many problems starting the interpreter
or printing things out (fatal errors or exceptions).  It seems we
still are using str8 in a bunch of places that need to converted to
Unicode.  I think that will make it easier to rip out the
dependencies.

If I have time, I'll probably focus on converting more uses of
PyString to PyUnicode.  These need to be done anyways and will
probably make other changes easier.