[Python-3000] PEP 3137 patch #2 - str8() == str() -> False

Thomas Lee tom at vector-seven.com
Thu Oct 11 14:41:57 CEST 2007

Okay, here's another patch:

http://bugs.python.org/issue1263

Using unicode-string-eq-false-r3.patch, str8/str comparison will now
return False instead of attempting to convert. Unfortunately this breaks
about 30 tests. In attempting to fix test_unicode (the obvious starting
point for all this), I made changes to Python/structmember.c to use
PyUnicode instead of PyString - this fixed some of the issues in
test_unicode, but there would appear to be other, similar problems
elsewhere.

I'm not going to have the time to get this done by Friday, but I may be
able to work more on this over the weekend. I'd love some feedback on my
changes to structmember.c so I know if I'm going about it the right way
(my knowledge of the PyUnicode API and unicode in general is pretty
limited). I put the structmember.c patch in a separate file for now -
unicode-string-eq-false-structmember-c-r1.patch

Until then, if anybody wants to help out with getting those tests
running that would be great too. Otherwise, I should have made some sort
of measurable progress by Monday.

Cheers,
Tom