[Python-3000] PEP 3137 plan of attack

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Tue Oct 16 02:10:24 CEST 2007

>  Anyways I'll be done with my patch to add the copying versions of the
> methods later today.  Stay tuned.

The PyBytes methods from PEP3137 have been implemented.  Review as desired.

http://bugs.python.org/issue1261

If its good as is, let me know and I can check that in if you don't want to
yourself.

I believe there are some more opportunities for code sharing between
PyString and PyBytes both in methods already existing in stringobject and
bytesobject and in some of the Objects/stringlib/transmogrify.h code that
this patch adds.  I tried to share as much as possible to avoid both bloat
and most importantly multiple copies of the same algorithms.  That could be
considered additional cleanup or optimization.

-gps