[Python-3000] Add python-3000-like print function to python 2.6

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Oct 16 22:29:07 CEST 2007

On 10/16/07, David A. Wheeler <dwheeler at dwheeler.com> wrote:
> In Python 2.6, could some print FUNCTION be added to the builtins, using a different name than "print" but with the Python 3000 semantics?  Call it printfunc or whatever.
>
> Python 3000 is undergoing much pain so that print can become a function. How about making those benefits available sooner than 3.0, so that we can use them earlier?  Obviously people can create their own such function, but having a STANDARD name for it would mean that 2to3 could easily automate that translation.  Plus, it'd help people get used to the idea of a printing _function_.

I expect this will happen. At the very least, you'll be able to just
use 'print' for that function's name if you include

  from __future__ import print_function

at the top of your module. Whether it's worth it to make the same
function available under a different name that doesn't require such an
import I'm not sure.