[Python-3000] PEP 3101 suggested corrections

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Fri Oct 26 19:11:45 CEST 2007

Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> The article says "decimal" is a synonym. What is the point to use an
> unknown synonym instead of a well-known word?

His point is that Python has a fixed-point number type called "Decimal",
and that this will lead to confusion.  I can see his point, but we all
know from years of C programming that "%d" takes an int and formats it
in base 10--there is no confusion about this.  Indeed, I suspect
describing this as "denary" would lead to far more confusion, and using
the format character "d" to take a Decimal object instead of an int
would lead to widespread panic and mayhem.  So -0.5 from me.

/larry/