[Python-3000] 3K bytes I/O?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Oct 26 21:26:17 CEST 2007

2007/10/26, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com>:
> I'm looking at the Py3K SSL code, and have a question:
>
> What's the upshot of the bytes/string decisions in the C world?  Is
> PyString_* now all about immutable bytes, and PyUnicode_* about
> strings?  There still seem to be a lot of encode/decode methods in
> stringobject.h, operations which I'd expect to be in unicodeobject.h.

I think the PyString encode/decode APIs should all go; use the
corresponding PyUnicode ones.

I recommend that you write your code to assume PyBytes for
encoded/binary data, and PyUnicode for text; at some point we'll
substitute PyString for most cases where PyBytes is currently used:
that will happen once PyString is called bytes in at the Python level,
and PyBytes will be called buffer. But that's still a while off.