[Python-3000] PEP 3137 plan of attack (stage 3)

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Oct 26 23:26:19 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Mid November sounds more like it.
>
> Below is a full updated status update; here's a short list of the
> tasks that remain to be done:
>
> - remove compatibility with PyString from PyUnicode
> - change lots of places (e.g. encoders) to return PyString instead of PyBytes
> - change PyString's repr() to return "b'...'" (1)
> - change PyBytes's repr() to return "buffer(b'...')" (1)
> - change parser so that b"..." returns PyString, not PyBytes (1)
> - rename bytes -> buffer, str8 -> bytes (1)
> - change PyBytes so that its str() is the same as its repr().
> - change PyString so that its str() is the same as its repr().
>
> (1) see http://bugs.python.org/issue1247
>
> I'll be working on all of these together; they're hard to separate out.

I suggest that you create a branch for the transition period. It will
take at least several days to kick and drag everything in place. We can
work on the transition while the rest can play with a working py3k branch.

>> There are also some issues that mainly crop up in non-English locales.
>> We will try to get to the bottom of those before releasing 3.0a2, but
>> I need help as I'm myself absolutely unable to work with locales (and
>> I don't have access to a Windows box).
>
> I think Christian and a few others are making progress here.

I think that I have found and fixed the last bit of problematic code in
the time module several days ago. I don't get any locales related errors
on my German Windows installation anymore. I would like to have people
with other locales to test py3k on Windows. In particular I'm interested
in tests with more "exotic" locales like Cyrillic alphabet (Greek,
Russian), Arabian and Asian locales.

Christian