[Python-3000] Solaris support in 3.0?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Sep 5 13:19:12 CEST 2007

> This is a combination question-and-status-report email.  The question
> would be, what does the "somewhat" tag mean on Solaris support in the
> release notes for 3.0a1, and does someone have a list of things that
> don't work, or does that just mean it hasn't been tested?

Not sure what "somewhat" means, but you can take a look at the build
failures in the Solaris buildbot - this is what is "officially" known
not to work.

As always with Solaris, there are several dimensions to be considered:
- version (2.5,2.6,7,8,9,10,11); not sure what the oldest Solaris
  version is that we still want to support.
- compiler: gcc vs. SunPRO/Forte
- 32 vs. 64 bits
- SPARC vs. x86

(not all combinations exist, but plenty)

> If anyone wants more data on any of these particular failures, let me
> know, otherwise I'm going to start working through the ones that fail
> in 3.0 that don't fail in 2.6.  All of the _md5 failures are because
> of the lack of SSL, so I'm not sure that the tests should be 'failing'
> in this configuration.

I think that's a serious issue to consider. As so much code now depends
on OpenSSL, setup.py should try harder to find it. E.g. on the build
slave, it can be found in /usr/sfw - not sure whether that is normal
on a Solaris 10 installation, and not sure whether there is a
Sun-provided OpenSSL on Solaris 8.

Notice that the tests don't 'fail', they are skipped. There are also
failing test cases, something that is more worrisome than a skipped
test case.

Regards,
Martin