[Python-3000] Solaris support in 3.0?

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Wed Sep 5 17:36:38 CEST 2007

> Yes, this is a serious issue -- we are totally dependent on openssl
> for computing MD5 checksums. Several modules use MD5 checksums
> casually, and it's not good that these fail when openssl isn't
> available (or if it's too old, like what happened on an ancient Red
> Hat 7.3 system I have at home). I'm tempted to put the old
> RSA-copyrighted md5.c back in as a fallback, even though its license
> is impopular. Or perhaps we could make a copy of a small fraction of
> openssl and use that? I think MD5 is the only one that's popular
> enough to warrant this treatment; I think SHA1 is a distant second.

Every OS I use has openssl installed so i figured someone else had made the
same decision and removed the non-openssl variants.  Are there really
non-linux/bsd/osx installations out there where anyone intends to build and
install python that do -not- have openssl installed somewhere?  That'd be
sad but in that case we shouldn't abandon them.  Modifying setup.py to find
it installed in a different place should be easy if thats all it takes.

Rather than resurrecting the old RSA-copyright md5.c I can easily make new
ones out of the libtomcrypt md5 and sha1 sources the same way i created the
non-openssl sha256 and sha512 modules.

We should not limit ourselves to only md5 if we do that, lets guarantee that
md5, sha1 - sha512 are available on all future python installs; its not
difficult.  I'll do the work if we need it.

-gps