[Python-3000] C API for ints and strings

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sun Sep 9 07:19:54 CEST 2007

On 9/8/07, Nicholas Bastin <nick.bastin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/8/07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> > > Would anyone be opposed to rehosting PyLong on top of GMP?
> >
> > I would be opposed. It's LGPL'ed, so you would have to ship GMP sources
> > with any Python binary that you distribute.
>
> The LGPL has no requirement that you convey source for unmodified
> libraries.  Linkage does not imply modification.

Nevertheless I think it would be a bad idea to make it the default
long implementation. There are bound to be *some* licensing issues
with the LGPL (even if it's just more FUD we'd have to fight) and it'd
be one more dependency. I believe there are already Python bindings
for GMP somewhere, so it's not like there is no way to use if if you
absolutely have to.