[Python-3000] C API for ints and strings

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Sep 11 07:22:37 CEST 2007

>> The first right of the user is to get the source code
>> easily, without having to beg for it. Only then it is also
>> the user's right to modify it, and use the modified version
>> in the application.
>
> Where does begging come into it? As long as the user
> is provided with information which allows them to
> easily obtain the source, there shouldn't be a
> problem.

No. If the user got the software on a CD-ROM, he should
not be required to use an internet connection to get the
source.

> What does "from the same source" mean, anyway? On
> the same hard disk? On a disk connected to the same
> computer? On a server in the same room? Same building?
> Owned by the same person/company?

Depends on how he gets the software. If the software
was received by download, getting the source by download
is fine. If the software was in a box he got by mail,
the source should be in the same box (or a written
offer to get the source in a box).

> If there's a link on the same web page that works
> when the user clicks on it, I don't think they're
> even going to notice the difference.

Certainly not. The "problem" is with copies you don't
receive through download. E.g. if Python comes
preinstalled in some device, that device should be
accompanied directly with the source "on a medium
customarily used for software interchange" (i.e.
you should not just print out the source code in
the handbook).

Regards,
Martin