[Python-3000] __format__ and datetime

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Sep 12 15:58:05 CEST 2007

    Guido> No, the datetime module is explicitly defined to use
    Guido> microseconds. I don't expect there to be a practical use for
    Guido> nanoseconds (even microseconds are doubtful, but useful since one
    Guido> might want unique timestamps for more than 1000 events per
    Guido> second).

I was just thinking about the folks at places like FermiLab and CERN. ;-)

So, is '%f" okay to coopt?  Is there some sort of future-proofing we can do
so that if the libc folks decide later to use "%f" for something we're not
(mildly) hosed?  Maybe "%."?  It appears that all strftime codes are one or
two letters.

Skip