[Python-3000] Move argv[0]? (Re: Unicode and OS strings)

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Mon Sep 17 01:32:05 CEST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> This sounds awfully close to bikeshedding.

I don't agree with that assessment. This is something
I've had in mind for quite a while. Python optimises
this for the *least* frequent use case, which is just
plain silly, as far as I can see. The only reason for
it is because that's the way C does it. That might be
called a foolish consistency.

> Change too many details
> like this and you cause death by a 1000 pinpricks for existing apps.

That's why I'm not suggesting that argv itself be
changed, but that something new be added for the
more frequent use cases.

--
Greg