[Python-3000] Immutable bytes -- looking for volunteer

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Sep 18 19:30:35 CEST 2007

On 9/18/07, Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll take it. I assume it's just a matter of removing the mutating
> methods and making the tests pass?

And adding __hash__. And (but this could be a separate, later change)
switch indexing to return 1-char bytes arrays instead of small ints.
And similar changes to the constructor.

Of course, the devil is in the "making the tests pass".

> I saw but didn't read a couple
> threads about the buffer API... how much has to change there?

The bytes buffer API should refuse requests for writable buffers.

Since you're so close, please do interrupt me over IM to review
incomplete work or ideas!

--Guido