[Python-3000] New io system and binary data

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Wed Sep 19 22:46:45 CEST 2007

On Sep 19, 2007, at 3:58 PM, Jason Orendorff wrote:
> Given the context (stdin/stdout/stderr), I'd love to know what you're
> thinking of here.  I can't name a program offhand that wants to
> operate on binary data via a pipeline.  There are a few that *can*,
> like gzip, but my impression is that even those aren't often used that
> way anymore.

Huh.  I use pipelines constructed in the shell for binary data
regularly; I don't see any reason not to do that.  I'd certainly
rather see the stdio streams be available as binary data, possibly
with convenient text-centric wrappers also available.  But I'd be
fine with constructing those myself.

   -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>