[Python-3000] Unicode and OS strings

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 02:28:47 CEST 2007

On 9/22/07, martin at v.loewis.de <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> argc/argv does not exist on Windows (that you seem to see it
> anyway is an illusion), and if it did exist, it would be characters,
> not bytes.

Of course it exists on Windows.  argc/argv are defined by the C
standard, and say what you will about Windows, but it has a conforming
implementation.  argv exists on Windows exactly the way the C standard
requires it - as an array of null terminated "strings".  It's left as
an exercise to people with more time than I to argue about the
definition of the term 'string' in the C standard (since the standard
itself is silent on the issue).

For what it's worth, the *Python* documentation does NOT guarantee
that the items in sys.argv will be strings.

--
Nick