[Python-3000] Python, int/long and GMP

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Fri Sep 28 04:29:39 CEST 2007

Hi,

I read some days ago a discussion about GMP (license). I wanted to know if GMP
is really better than current Python int/long implementation. So I wrote a
patch for python 3000 subversion (rev. 58277).

I changed long type structure with:

struct _longobject {
	PyObject_HEAD
        mpz_t number;
};

False is the number 0 and True is 1. marshal module is broken, my patch just
makes gcc happy.

The most important point is the pystone results:
  original python: 32573.3 pystones/second
  python with GMP: 26666.7 pystones/second

So I can now say that GMP is much slower for Python pystone usage of integers.
I use 32-bit CPU (Celeron M 420 at 1600 MHz on Ubuntu), so most integers are
just one CPU word (and not a GMP complex structure).

Victor Stinner
http://hachoir.org/