[Python-3000] PEP: Cleaning out sys and the "interpreter" module

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 23:41:21 CEST 2008

Benjamin Peterson wrote:
> After a long conversation on the stdlib-sig list, I'd like to bring this
> before you. For those of you not on the peps mailing list, Guido has
> expressed lukewarmness (well -0.5) to the idea. However, I'd still like
> your comments on my first PEP.

+1 from me.

> The gc module:
>     - getrefcount
>     - _compact_freelists

These are very specific to CPython's style of garbage collection - they
don't make sense in the context of something like the native GC in
Jython or Ironpython.

So -1 on moving these to gc - put them in the new interpreter-specific
module along with everything else.

> Move to some to imp?
> --------------------
>
> It was noted that dont_write_bytecode or maybe builtin_module_names
> might fit
> nicely in the imp module.

I wouldn't bother moving these two - there is lots of import related
stuff in sys already (path, path_hooks, metapath, etc) and it isn't
worth the hassle of trying to move all of it.

> Naming
> ------
>
> The author proposes the name "interpreter" for the new module.  "pyvm"
> has also
> been suggested [#pyvm-name]_.  The name "cpython" was well liked
> [#cpython-name]_.

'interpreter' seems unnecessarily long. '_pyvm' would get my vote,
although I'd also be fine with pyvm or cpython (it will be necessary to
get Guido up to at least +0 just so he can choose the name!).

Cheers,
Nick.