[Python-3000] Workaround for py3k build problem on CJK MacOS X?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Fri Aug 15 19:00:07 CEST 2008

On 2008-08-15 15:41, Hye-Shik Chang wrote:
> Currently, Python 3.0 fails to build in MacOS X with CJK locales
> due to lack of codec support for preferred encodings, such as
> MacJapanese or MacKorean, provided by locale.getpreferredencoding().
> We have a patch that implements the codecs that resolves the problem
> in issue #1276, but it's too late to put the new code into the
> upcoming release. So, I propose few alternative temporary workarounds
> that can be incorporated in 3.0.
>
> 1) Add temporary encoding aliases.
>
> All Macintosh CJK encodings have their base legacy encoding that
> is supported by Python already. They are virtually identical to the
> legacy encodings except few Apple extension codepoints which are
> rarely used. Just adding aliases will immediately resolve the problem
> while it's little bit incorrect.

I think this is the best solution for 3.0. In 3.1 we should then
ship proper codecs for the various Asian Mac encodings.

> 4) Add FAQ entry in the documentation.
>
> Alternative to the code changes, we can just add a FAQ entry about the
> problem on MacOS X with CJK locales in the documentation.

We should add a note about the slightly wrong codec usage in 3.0 to
the FAQ and probably also to the NEWS file.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Aug 15 2008)