[Python-3000] pickle, cPickle, and the standard library (was Re: [Python-Dev] inst_persistent_id)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 10:28:38 CET 2008

Brett Cannon wrote:
> If you want to trim more then
> push for stuff to be removed on a module-to-module basis. But going
> from "batteries included" to "batteries easily downloaded" is quite a
> shift for Python.

Not to mention it being a serious pain in the rear for those of us who
have to get licenses vetted by our contracts department before we're
allowed to copy open source code across to isolated networks with no
direct access to stuff that is "in the cloud".

A batteries-included standard library is a *huge* boon in that kind of
environment - one license to vet and one installer to copy across,
instead of suffering a death of a thousand cuts as we have to retrieve
different bits and pieces from PyPI (or rewrite our own versions from
scratch).

We-don't-all-work-in-web-app-development-ly,
Nick.