[Python-3000] Does anyone remember the Red Hat 1.5->2.x fiasco?

Leif Walsh adlaiff6 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 22:12:42 CET 2008

On Feb 4, 2008 2:34 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> That was unfortunate.  What they should have done, IMO, is install python as
> a link to the latest version.  Where they had tools that had not been
> ported, those tools should have explicitly said #!/usr/bin/python1.5.
>
> Would be even nicer if python could say:
> require python_version >= x.y
> or some such.

I already had this suggestion shot down in the "Namespaces are etc."
thread.  The argument goes a bit like "if the os calls the wrong
version of python to compile and run the code, it might not even
compile, in which case the 'require version whatever' line of python
code will never be executed".

--
Cheers,
Leif