[Python-3000] Nix dict.copy()

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Feb 12 23:20:54 CET 2008

Guido van Rossum wrote:

> Here's another way to look at it, maybe it'll help. My hunch is that
> whenever someone writes x = copy(y), they actually know more about the
> type of y than just that it is an object!

I don't see how this is much different than the situation
with __iter__. If you know that y is a sequence of items
of type Y, then you know that iter(y) probably produces
an object with a next() method that returns objects of
type Y.

If you're talking about programmers doing type analysis
in their heads, I think the type system they use is quite
a sophisticated one, certainly a parametric one that has
no trouble coping with things like this.

> I realize I'm doing a lousy job of explaining me.

What's confusing is that you're talking about static
typing issues in a language that has no static type
system. I'm having trouble seeing the relevance.

--
Greg