[Python-3000] Windows, sys.argv and unicode

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Sat Feb 16 18:55:00 CET 2008

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:40:52 -0500, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

>>BTW: is there a long-time plan to make the Python core *not* link
>>against msvcrt dll anymore but only rely on Windows APIs (or maybe also
>>the static C runtime, I don't really care)?
>
> How would this affect using MinGW to build Python extensions?

AFAICT, it would make python.dll not depend on any msvcrt.dll, and thus
being compatible with any extension, compiled with any compiler (with any
version of msvcrt, or without msvcrt at all).

Putting an end to this annoying "what version of Visual Studio / msvcrt
do I need for this version of Python?" is a sensible goal, IMHO.
--
Giovanni Bajo