[Python-3000] [Python-Dev] Python 2.6 and 3.0

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Tue Feb 26 00:58:32 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> I've looked at it, and I seriously doubt that. In WiX, you need to
> specify a fixed file list (perhaps with wildcards; I'm unsure). This
> will be tricky for Python, where the list of files to be installed
> changes all the time.
>
> You *need* to have a turing-complete packing language (such as Python).

You are most likely right. A pure XML based solution ain't going to work
for Python. But how about a mixed solution?

    XML templates -> Python fu -> WiX XML -> MSI

We take some XML templates, modify them from Python and add the files.
Finalliy we let WiX create the MSI installer from the resulting XML file.

What do you think?

> Exactly so. When I started with MSI generation, and tried what comes
> with Visual Studio, and found it unusable - it did not support
> Itanium, and could not be changed to support it.

Yeah, been there, got frustrated, went back :/

Christian