[Python-3000] Python 2.6 and 3.0

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Tue Feb 26 21:51:59 CET 2008

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> No, I still haven't found a solution. I do want to use the merge
>>> module; anything else probably isn't going to work.
>> Da...ng
>> Didn't you prepare a new MSI installer for 3.0a2 that includes the VS
>> Redist MSM for X86? I vaguely remember that you've replaced my installer
>> with a new one.
>
> Right. I produced a package that ships the CRT, but not by using the
> merge module. Instead, I arranged to include sufficient copies of the
> manifest file to make it work in the non-admin installation (and yes,
> you do need to install multiple copies of it - just see the 3.0a2 MSI
> file).
>
>> The issue should be resolved before Python 2.6 and 3.0 are reaching beta
>> stage. Maybe we can get some help from outside?
>
> Perhaps. I'm confident that I can find a solution when I get the time;
> I'm not so confident that I can find the time, though. Of course, I
> would prefer if the outside help would propose something better than
> "switch to this completely different technology; it may work" (unless
> a complete working solution is presented in that other technology, and
> as long as that other technology still creates MSI files with
> free-as-in-beer tools).
>
> In any case, contributions are welcome.

I've been involved in packaging MSI's at Enthought for a few months now
and I have been using Martin's msi Tool extensively.  We explored
several other options (including WiX) before settling back to Martin's
tool.  It is really a fantastic thing.

I've changed a few things in msilib that I will offer back (as soon as
I'm happy with the results) --- mainly in the area of File-Table naming
strategies to avoid conflicts, error reporting, and adding custom
actions.  We also have a large file schema that we are using (because
our MSI has over 40,000 files in it).

We are able to package the entire Enthought Python Distribution (which
includes python 2.5.2 plus about 70 other packages as eggs) into an MSI
using a modified version of Martin's tool.   If you want to check out
the beta you can get the 174 MB download here (the official beta
announcement will be tomorrow so you might want to wait a bit):

http://code.enthought.com/downloads/epd/enthought_python-2.5.2001.msi

My main purpose in posting to this thread is to offer kudos to Martin
and advertise the utility of the msi-generation tools that he has
provided.

Thanks for your very useful tool Martin,

-Travis Oliphant